Guys, I have something to tell you.
I’m going back to Japan.
Not to live, just to visit. I’ll be in the country for about 2 months starting August 24. You might be thinking…
“So what, Kimi!? You’ve been to Japan 4 times already. What’s so special about this trip?”
Well for the first time, I’m bringing all of my camera gear, and I’ll actually be able to SHOW you my favorite country on Earth. In the past, I’ve shared photos on Facebook and Instagram, tweeted, written posts about Japan, but the new key element is video. This time, I’m getting it all on film.
I’ll get to introduce you to some of the people who shaped my time living in Japan and show you the old apartments where I used to live in both Yokohama and Nagasaki (from the outside anyway). Together we will ride the trains, explore the mountains, devour delicious food, and so much more. The best part is that, as much as I already know about Japan, I still get to learn new things right along with you.
While this whole trip is sponsor-free, I am going into it with the intention of making great content for you guys and creating content that could be used by different companies down the line for promotional purposes. That said, I designed the whole trip itinerary on my own so I get to show you what I, Kimi Sugiyama, love so much about Japan. I get to move at my own pace, share tips and tools I use to navigate the culture and language barriers, and address frustrations that friends and readers have expressed in connecting with the country.
This is going to be a very ambitious, challenging, and special trip. It will be a worthwhile effort to dig deeper beneath the skin of Japanese culture, revisit and learn more about some of my favorite tourist spots, explore the veins of rural Japan, and become more comfortable talking to the camera in public in the process.
Itinerary Sneak Peek
For the first month, I will be based in Tokyo followed by a very unique 6-day excursion and another week in Kyoto. Here’s a sneak peek of things to look forward to and content to expect on all SYT channels.
- Japanese Apartment Tour
- Exploring Tokyo’s vegetarian/vegan restaurant scene
- Hiking trips
- “Tokyo After Dark” food tour
- Where to get free hugs in Tokyo
- Outdoor Adventure Weekends
- Volunteering with 2nd Harvest Japan
- Visiting one of Japan’s most popular rice fields
- Tour of Yokohama
- Trips to Kanazawa, Matsumoto, and Fukuoka
- Where to enjoy a great view of Mt. Fuji
- Meet a few people who shaped my time in Japan
- SUPER DUPER SPECIAL 6-day excursion
- Udon making class
- Japanese Apartment Tour
- Hiking Mt. Koya
- 5 unique workshops and tours
- 2 cooking classes
…and so much more!
Your Seat for the Journey
This will primarily be a visual journey so for the best view:
- Make sure you’re subscribed to my Youtube channel where I’ll be posting new videos every Wednesday and occasional bonus videos.
- Join the journey on Instagram where I’ll be posting a new photo every day.
- Snap with me as I share unedited thoughts, short stories, and clips from each day on Snapchat.
Prior to Departure
- Get up to speed on previous blog posts I’ve written on Japan. Here are a few favorites…
- Check out my Japan Travel page for helpful resources to plan your trip and learn more about the country.
- Download my free photo collection, Will Work for Japan, for photo inspiration and get excited for the trip.
- Every day leading up to the departure date, I will be sharing old SYT articles and posts from fellow travel bloggers about Japan on Twitter. Follow along using the hashtag #SYTJapanFest.
If you have any questions along the way about traveling in Japan, language barriers, money saving tips, etc., reach out via any of the social media outlets below. I read and respond to all the comments and emails. Lastly, if you have recommendations for things you want to see, places to go, or videos you want me to make, tell me in the comments below.
See you on the road!